Lacinato Salad: A New SpinPosted: December 20, 2010
We love our raw kale at $30/Week and found a new recipe that married the bitterness of kale with the sweetness of butternut squash and richness of the goat cheese. Thanks to our friend Robin, who made a version that we later attempted at home.
Lacinato & Butternut Squash Salad
- 1/2 butternut squash (peeled, cut into small cubes)
- 1 bunch of lacinato kale (washed, ribbed and chopped)
- 1 clove garlic, minced finely
- juice of one lemon
- glug of olive oil (1-2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- salt and pepper
- breadcrumbs, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 and place the squash cubes on parchment lined paper. Spray with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until well roasted. In the meantime, prep the kale, juice the lemon, etc.
- Place chopped kale in a large bowl and add the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Massage the kale for about 5 minutes with your washed hands. Really massage the kale – it’ll help break it down and make it more palatable if you’re not into raw kale (you will be!!).
- Throw in the rest of the ingredients and gently toss. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add breadcrumbs if desired. Enjoy!