Barley and Vegetable SaladPosted: August 6, 2010
Pretty simple with nice smokey flavors due to grilling the eggplant.
Barley and Vegetable Salad
- 1 large Japanese eggplant, chopped into half-moons
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked barley
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp grapeseed oil
- Heat a grill pan over high heat coated with a bit of olive oil. Add the eggplant and grill until cooked through and slightly charred – keep turning the eggplant so it actually doesn’t burn. You can also do this on a BBQ or roast the eggplant in the oven. Add the scallions to the pan when the eggplant is just about done.
- Place the eggplant, scallions, red onion, tomatoes, cilantro and barley into a large bowl.
- Whisk together the rest of the ingredients to make a dressing. Pour over the contents of the bowl and mix well.