Red Cabbage SoupPosted: June 9, 2010
I’ve been sick for the past couple of days so after eating lots of broth and toast, I was looking forward to something a little more substantial for dinner. We had a lot of shredded cabbage that a friend (Thanks R.!) brought over the other day and I had gotten some pasta ($1) after the Monday shopping shift (Phil also spent $3 on potatoes and black beans leaving us a total of $1.31 for the week). The soup is really simple, but quite flavorful from the homemade vegetable broth.
Red Cabbage Soup
- teaspoon or more (if you like) of olive oil
- half an onion, chopped
- half a cup of white wine (or water)
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup pasta shells
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot and add the onion. Sautee until onion gets soft and translucent (about 5 minutes) and then add wine.
- Add the cabbage and stir it around a bit. Stir in the broth and the chopped carrot. Add a little bit of salt and pepper here.
- Bring the heat down to a simmer and let it cook for about 10 minutes. If you want to add more broth or water, go ahead (this wasn’t a measured process).
- Add the pasta and paprika and bring the soup to a boil for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Taste and add salt and pepper until it tastes great. Serve.