Baby Bok Choy and Garlic SoupPosted: March 29, 2010
We made this soup last night in order to stave off sickness. We got caught in the rain while riding our bikes today and thought a spicy garlic-y soup would hit the spot. It did.
Baby Bok Choy and Garlic Soup
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 3 cups water (or 7 cups veggie broth if you have it)
- 4-5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 piece of ginger, peeled
- handful of brown rice (a little more than a 1/4 cup)
- 1 lb baby bok choy, ends trimmed and roughly chopped
- salt to taste
- Sriracha or other hot sauce, to taste
- 1 egg
- Boil the vegetable stock and add the crushed garlic and ginger in a big pot. Let that simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- If it looks like you need more broth, add it and add the baby bok choy. Taste and season with salt and hot-sauce.
- Cover and let the bok choy cook down – should only be 5 minutes or so.
- Ladle a small portion of the broth out into a bowl and add the egg. Stir vigorously with a fork and then pour it all back into the pot. Give the soup a good stir and serve.