Apple-n-Carrot Nut BreadPosted: March 24, 2010
A very nice co-worker gave me her apple yesterday as she doesn’t like fruit and I also got about a cup of OJ from an event work hosted. I decided that these two things could equal a quick-bread and did some hard-core cook/baking tonight (more posts to come tomorrow). Things made in about an hour (not including overall cooking time): freezer veggie stock, apple-n-carrot bread, granola and a swiss chard and egg-topped tart. Busy evening!
So, on to this very moist quick-bread!
I got the basic recipe from Bittman’s How to Cook Everything Vegetarian and tweaked it since I didn’t have much butter. Time to get some more.
Apple-n-Carrot Nut Bread
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or regular AP is fine)
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- .5 teaspoon baking soda
- healthy pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup juice (apple, orange) or milk
- 1 grated apple
- 1 grated carrot
- handful of raisins (optional)
- 1/2 cup toasted hazlenuts (or no nuts, or whatever nut you prefer – we had this buried in the freezer)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix together the dry ingredients.
- Whisk the egg, oil and juice together.
- Add to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold the shredded fruit, raisins and nuts into the mixture.
- Oil (butter or vegetable oil) a loaf pan and coat with flour – shake out all excess flour.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for about 50-60 minutes. Toothpick should come out clean when it is done.
- Eat with a nice cup of tea or coffee (I am sure this freezes well too!)