Golden RicePosted: March 14, 2010
As promised from our Dinner Party post, here is the recipe for Golden Rice. The rice cooks up beautiful and is a gorgeous golden color. Perfect for impressing guests or to cheer yourself up on a gray day. In fact, I wish I had some right now. This weekend has been a complete washout.
Golden Rice (adapted from Moosewood Low-Fat Favorites)
- 1 cup brown long grain rice
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2.25 cups vegetable stock (or you can use water)
- 1.5 cups peeled and grated carrots
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- salt to taste
- Rinse the rice and let it soak for 30 minutes. TIMESAVER: I actually put the rice to soak when I left for work in the morning and proceeded with the recipe when I got home and it worked fine.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and saute the onions for 5 minutes or until they are a light golden brown. Add the spices and stir constantly so they don’t burn.
- Add the stock or the water and bring to a boil. Add the carrots, orange peel and drained rice. Give it a good stir and let it come to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover the pot and let simmer for 15 minutes. Taste, the rice should be tender, not mushy. If it’s too hard, let it cook (covered) for another 5 minutes or so. Add salt as desired.
- Remove from heat and let sit, undisturbed, for 10 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and eat.