Spaghetti Squash: Seeds and AllPosted: November 19, 2009
Our receipt from Tuesday night’s shop needs to be put up on the site, but one of the items we got was a spaghetti squash. This dish came together pretty quickly with some items we had in the fridge and the cupboard. The protein powerhouse here was a pound of (dried) garbanzo beans that I made in the pressure cooker on Friday and stored in the fridge.
Spaghetti Squash: Seeds and All
- 1 medium-sized spaghetti squash
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
- 1 small red onion (diced)
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- crushed red pepper & garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper and salt
- 1 cup of red wine
- Chop the top and very bottom of the squash off and split the squash in half.
- Remove seeds and strands from squash. Wash the seeds and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper and toast for 10 minutes in a 350F oven or until they are all brown and crispy
- In the meantime, prick squash halves with a knife and fill a microwavable dish with a half-inch of water. Place one half of the squash in it (if you can fit both halves, go for it) and microwave for about 7-8 minutes. If you want to roast the squash, preheat the oven to 375 and place squash halves in a rimmed baking sheet with water on the bottom. Roast for about an hour or until squash is tender.
- Use a fork and comb out the squash halves – the strands should come out looking a bit like spaghetti. Place in a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Heat up olive oil in a skillet and add the chopped onions. Saute the onions for 5 minutes on medium heat and then add a 1/4 cup of wine. Cover skillet and lower the heat to a simmer – cook for 5 minutes and add the parsley and garbanzo beans.
- Add the rest of the wine, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste and cover. Let this simmer for a little bit – it’ll be your sauce.
- Heat up the spaghetti squash in the microwave for a minute or two. Alternatively, add the squash to the garbanzo mixture and heat it all over the stove.
- Top with the garbanzo mixture, Parmesan cheese and the toasted squash seeds.