Peanut Butter & “Jelly” French ToastPosted: May 31, 2009
I really enjoy French toast, but often feel hungry an hour or two after eating it. The added protein of the peanut butter and fiber from the ground flaxseeds make this a heartier brunch option that can fuel you until supper.
Peanut Butter & “Jelly” French Toast
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds mixed with 3 tablespoons water (acts as an egg replacer)
- peanut butter (we like chunky)
- 4 slices of bread
- Place the strawberries and sugar in a small saucepan, cover and let simmer over very low heat. Feel free to add some honey or water if you want to make it sweeter or more syrupy. Your looking for a chunky jam-like, yet somewhat syrupy consistency. If you cover it while you make the rest of the french toast, you should be fine. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Then, whisk together all of the ingredients up to the peanut butter in a shallow dish.
- Make 2 peanut butter sandwiches. Use as much peanut butter as you like.
- Heat a large skillet with a bit of butter or oil over medium-low heat.
- Dip the whole sandwich into the batter and then place in the skillet. Do the same with the other sandwich. You will probably have some liquid left, so make more sandwiches or save the liquid and make muffins (that’s what I did).
- Cook until both sides are browned evenly. Cut in half and pour the “jam” on top. Add powdered sugar for the photo op.
- Eat! Serves 2!