Alu CholePosted: January 7, 2009
For Christmas, I got a bunch of awesome spice packets from Kalustyan’s from Phil. Looking over our larder last night, I realized we still had some dried chickpeas left and they are a key ingredient in Alu Chole (chickpeas with potatoes) Masala. Kalustyan’s deserves its own blog post, as it is a New York treasure of spices, teas and delicious food. Fortunately, you can order almost anything from the store online and here is where you can get the Alu Chole spice, which I received in my stocking. The spices include: Onion, Coriander, Garlic, Cumin, Ginger, Salt, Red Chili, Safflower Oil, Bay Leaf, Corn Starch, Clove, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Dry Mango Powder, Fenugreek Leaves, Green Coriander, Turmeric & Pomegranate Seeds.
The dish I prepared was very easy to make and very delicious. I followed the directions on the packet of spices pretty closely – omitting the large amount of oil was the only change. You could probably come up with a mix of these spices on your own, but I am sure there are masala spices out there. Points for this dish: quick, delicious and inexpensive if you have the spices and use dried beans.
Alu Chole Masala
splash of olive oil or a pat of butter (or you could use ghee if you have it)
1 28oz can (or 2 cups) diced tomatoes, with juices
1/2 cup water
3-4 tbsp (I used 4) of masala spice
32 oz boiled chickpeas (canned is fine)
16 oz (about 2 medium potatoes) boiled cubed potatoes
Optional: lime wedges, chopped onion and chopped fresh coriander or parsley to serve.
- If you haven’t cooked your potatoes, start them now – they’ll finish while steps 2-3 are going. If they are cubed, they won’t take too long. If you already have the boiled and cubed potatoes, go to step 2!
- Heat up the oil or butter in a large pot and then add the tomatoes. Cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spice mixture and water. Let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and cooked potatoes and mix thoroughly. Add salt to taste.
- Serve hot and garnish with lime wedges, onion slices and fresh chopped coriander (we only had some parsley).