Maple Glazed Carrots and CurrantsPosted: January 14, 2011
Wanting to make something beyond a another carrot slaw (which we both love), I decided to try my hand at some glazed carrots and they came out great! Very simple and you only need a few ingredients – this is a lovely side dish for cold nights.
Maple Glazed Carrots and Currants
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil (use as much or as little as you like)
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut on the diagnal
- 1/2 shallot, finely chopped
- bit of wine, stock or water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- handful of currants
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and add the carrots when hot. Stir briskly, lower heat and cover for 2 minutes.
- Add the shallots and the other liquid (wine or what have you) and cover for a few more minutes. I just poured a bit of wine (maybe 1/4 cup) and gave it all a good stir. I wanted the carrots crisp, not mush.
- Add the maple syrup (honey would probably make a good substitute) and the currants. Stir again until liquid is almost dissolved and carrots have a shiny, bright orange color.