Barley and Shredded Beet Salad w/ScallionsPosted: June 4, 2009
My mom had made an amazing barley summer salad a few weeks ago and I couldn’t get it out of my head. I decided to try something similar with beets and scallions and it is bright, healthy and delicious.
Barley and Shredded Beet Salad w/Scallions
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 5 cups water
- 4 small beets, peeled and shredded
- bunch of scallions, green and white parts chopped up
- olive oil
- juice of a lemon
- salt and pepper
- Salt the water, add the barley, bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the barley is chewy, but not overcooked. Strain out liquid if necessary.
- Sautee the scallions in a bit of olive oil.
- Place barley in a large bowl and add the beets, scallions, lemon juice, a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper to taste. Cover the bowl. The warm barley and scallions will “cook” the shredded beets a bit, making them more tender.
- Serve warm or cold. Probably perfect to bring to a picnic. Definitely makes a lot. We’ve been eating it since Tuesday.